Pitch Bend Settings for Ribbon Sensor

Posts about MIDIsense. open source MIDI sensor platform

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dendiv

Pitch Bend Settings for Ribbon Sensor

Post by dendiv »

Hello everybody,

when a ribbon input is assigned to Pitchbend, is the MIDIsense- Software able to return to value 64 instead of 0 when the finger is off the sensor.
A pitchwheel is doing this by a spring return mechanism. Is there some kind of Plateu around the value 64. Otherwise the Pitchbend could cause permanent detunings.

Best Regards,

Dendiv

adafruit

Re: Pitch Bend Settings for Ribbon Sensor

Post by adafruit »

if you're willing to hack the firmware, yes. but by default if you let go it stays at where it was before

dendiv

Post by dendiv »

I'm just a musician and I am glad to be able to change a light bulb!
But wouldn 't this be a cool implementation-option for a further firmware update?
If you can play a ribbon like a Pitchbend as i described and as its seen in he Roland AX1, or Yamaha KX5,
you can play Guitarlike Licks and Lines (for example: Hammer on) on a Keyboard, you can't do with any other controller.

Best Regards

InkyTheHooloovoo

Post by InkyTheHooloovoo »

I'm more of a hardware than software/firmware person myself, but it should be a fairly simple task of assigning the pitch bend value to 64 when it reaches the low value minimum. It might be hard to implement, but positioning a SPDT micro switch so that touching the ribbon will toggle it and bypass a resistor of half the maximum resistance of the ribbon sensor. The only problem would be getting it all positioned right so that the micro switch only flips when you want it to. I've never used this circuit in this application so if you decide to try it let me know how it works. Hope that helps.
Attachments
ribbon sensor on top, resistor at bottom, and a micro switch
ribbon sensor on top, resistor at bottom, and a micro switch
Alt Ribbon Wiring.png (877 Bytes) Viewed 10114 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MIDIsense”