GilBug - Is there any interest in this

Forum announcements

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gilshultz

GilBug - Is there any interest in this

Post by gilshultz »

I have programmed in Assembler for about 40 years; C++ is brand new to me. The first thing I painfully realized where is no such thing as a simple monitor or break point capabilities in the Arduino IDE. I really missed these and spent a lot of time writing and erasing print statements and the problems they caused sooooo... GilBug was born! It is lightly based on some monitors I wrote many years ago. Like then It is resident (in this case) embedded in the user code; it is well annotated. With a push of a button it tells me most of what I want to know. It does not know anything about your source or program, but it does know what is in its memories and hardware state. However you can tell it what you want to know from your source code and see it with a push of that button.

GilBug resides with the user's code and will display various parts of your Arduino hardware and software. It displays both analog and digital values of the pins. I shows Ram and EEPROM in the standard Address. Hex, byte ASCII format. It tells you how much free Ram is left in your system. It gives you a lot of the hidden CPU information as well as scans both the I2C buss and the One Wire bus. Since I do not have nor want your program there is an area where the user can enter code to display whatever variables, constants, etc they desire. For example you want to see your variable house, simply use the statement Serial.print(house); That is all there is to it.

GilBug requires three pins to operate properly, Pins 0,1 and 2; Pins 0 and 1 are by default connected to the serial monitor, this does not change. Pin#2 has a pushbutton that generates an interrupt. I used two resistors for the pushbutton. A 4.7K resistor goes to pin 2, the other end connects to a 1K resistor connected to ground and the push button. The other end of the push button is connected to VCC (+5), this generates a rising edge interrupt which starts the GilBug display. The resistors protect the Arduino form a user inadvertently setting pin 2 to the wrong output state.
Attachments
GilBugMan.txt
Preliminary manual for GilBug
(11.66 KiB) Downloaded 239 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: GilBug - Is there any interest in this

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Thanks for posting this. I'm sure some folks will find this useful.

The Arduino IDE is pretty bare-ones, but there are more full-featured alternatives such as Visual Micro
http://www.visualmicro.com/page/Debuggi ... duino.aspx

gilshultz

Post by gilshultz »

I agree but I am not running windows,

Over the years, IDE's got to expensive every time they updated windows it forces me to change. That normally indicates I have to pay for an upgrade, for something I may use a few dozen times.

I do not know if the Arduino system supports a software interrupt, I have not had the time to look for oy. It would add the ability to add breakpoints to GilBug.

I have no clue how to upload/post software on this or any of the other Arduino support systems, any help would be appreciated. Most places I come across a requirement to have either / or a social media account (I will not have one) or a web site somebody can link to; I do not have one of them, I do not have the time to set one up and maintain it.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Github is a good place to share code and other files. All of our libraries and PCB CAD files are published on Github.

gilshultz

Post by gilshultz »

Thanks for the information. Please understand that, when I contacted GitHub I was told I had to have a Facebook or Twitter account to upload. My problem as I have stated many times is where and how to upload it without a social media account and/or a web server. Also everything is on Linux on my side.

dhalbert

Post by dhalbert »

gilshultz wrote:when I contacted GitHub I was told I had to have a Facebook or Twitter account to upload
I'm not sure where that info came from. You don't need a Facebook or Twitter account to create a github.com account and then create repos, etc.. I have one that's not associated with any other login.

gilshultz

Post by gilshultz »

That was from them, not sure who it was, I was told to post the information Facebook or Twitter. So far in three months I have yet to find out how to connect and upload, downloading has been very easy.

I was looking again today and found out there is GitHUB FOR OS X and Windows, That does not run in Linux Mint.

I found this "https://f.cloud.github.com/assets/21/73 ... e2-932b-35" it is restricted.

I found "https://github.com/new" which allows me to create a repository, is that what I want?

Thanks

odinsdream

Post by odinsdream »

Hi there! I thought I'd share some links to help you get started on GitHub. It is extremely Linux friendly, and doesn't require any social media accounts.

First note, GitHub is a service built around the version control system (VCS) known as "git" - and while you could just use git on your own servers, the point of GitHub is to provide a friendly public interface to allow you to share your code with others, while still working on it locally just as you already do.

Using a version control system is a good idea even if you don't use Git or GitHub, but the exposure you get for your projects is going to be better with a popular service like GitHub.

To get started you should create a GitHub account here.

Then, read up on these guides to learn about how to create a repository and upload your existing codebase into it. You'll want to familiarize yourself with using GitHub's workflow to continue changing your files while they reside on the GitHub servers. Many of the guides are going to refer to desktop applications that are written for Windows or Mac OSX, but you can simply apply the same concepts to the command-line "git" command on your Linux box. There may be GUI front-ends available, but I don't have familiarity with those.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Announcements”