Write Protected SD Card

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
jdellaire

Write Protected SD Card

Post by jdellaire »

I recently purchased a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B starter pack. When I received it, I tried it out with the micro SD card that came in the package with Noobs v1.8 preloaded on it. The display was a colorful screen when it booted up, so I waited a few minutes to see if anything would change. When the screen stayed the same, I decided to format the micro SD card thinking it may have been a corrupt OS.

I placed the micro SD card in the SD card adapter so I could use the SD card slot on my laptop. The first thing I tried was using fdisk on Ubuntu to clear the partitions and start fresh. fdisk claimed the partitions were removed, but after fdisk completed, the partitions were still there. I then tried using dd, parted, and maybe a couple other utilities, but nothing seemed to reformat the card. I tried toggling the lock on the SD card adapter to verify the hardware lock wasn't enabled. I have a USB micro/SD card reader (it has two slots for micro and regular SD card), but that didn't work either. I tried utilities in Windows including diskpart, SDformatter, and setting a write enabled flag in the registry, but nothing was working. I tried the card out on a Macbook, but that didn't work either. I even tried sticking the card in a camera to format it, but the camera claimed the card was locked! (I made sure to toggle the hardware switch)

I've exhausted all of the resources I know of as far as formatting this card that came with the Raspberry Pi 3 starter pack. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Rgissing

Re: Write Protected SD Card

Post by Rgissing »

I am also having this problem too. it seemed pretty obvious that i just install it and turn it on, but it did not work. I looked at the files on it my laptop and the files are there but it would boot. any suggestions would be great. I am sure that the sd card is ok.

chanjp

Post by chanjp »

I am encountering the same issue. Are we just unlucky enough to get corrupted SD cards? And on my first attempt at the Raspberry Pi as well!

chanjp

Post by chanjp »

I am definitely sure I was given a broken SD Card. I can't even update the OS properly when I borrowed a friend's Pi 2 (which can run the SD card.

Here's the output:

Code: Select all

Get:1 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie/main perl armhf 5.20.2-3+deb8u4 [2068 kB]
Get:2 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie/main perl-base armhf 5.20.2-3+deb8u4 [1097 kB]
Fetched 3165 kB in 6s (521 kB/s)                                                                                                                              
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_CTYPE = "en_US.UTF-8",
        LANG = "en_GB.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to a fallback locale ("en_GB.UTF-8").
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
E: Corrupted archive
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.19-18+deb8u3_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/libapt-pkg4.12_1.0.9.8.2_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/apt_1.0.9.8.2_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/libpcre3_2%3a8.35-3.3+deb8u2_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/libudev1_215-17+deb8u3_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/udev_215-17+deb8u3_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/libpam0g_1.1.8-3.1+deb8u1_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/libpam-modules-bin_1.1.8-3.1+deb8u1_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/libpam-modules_1.1.8-3.1+deb8u1_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/libgcrypt20_1.6.3-2+deb8u1_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/libsystemd0_215-17+deb8u3_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/libpam-systemd_215-17+deb8u3_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/systemd_215-17+deb8u3_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/systemd-sysv_215-17+deb8u3_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/libpam-runtime_1.1.8-3.1+deb8u1_all.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/libapt-inst1.5_1.0.9.8.2_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/libssl1.0.0_1.0.1k-3+deb8u4_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/libgssapi-krb5-2_1.12.1+dfsg-19+deb8u2_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/libkrb5-3_1.12.1+dfsg-19+deb8u2_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/libkrb5support0_1.12.1+dfsg-19+deb8u2_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/BANNED_1.12.1+dfsg-19+deb8u2_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/file_1%3a5.22+15-2+deb8u1_armhf.deb
E: Prior errors apply to /var/cache/apt/archives/libmagic1_1%3a5.22+15-2+deb8u1_armhf.deb
debconf: apt-extracttemplates failed: No such file or directory
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 116795 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../perl_5.20.2-3+deb8u4_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking perl (5.20.2-3+deb8u4) over (5.20.2-3+deb8u1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../perl-base_5.20.2-3+deb8u4_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking perl-base (5.20.2-3+deb8u4) over (5.20.2-3+deb8u1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-5) ...
Setting up perl-base (5.20.2-3+deb8u4) ...
(Reading database ... 116795 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../perl-modules_5.20.2-3+deb8u4_all.deb ...
Unpacking perl-modules (5.20.2-3+deb8u4) over (5.20.2-3+deb8u1) ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: lzma error: compressed data is corrupt
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/perl-modules_5.20.2-3+deb8u4_all.deb (--unpack):
 cannot copy extracted data for './usr/share/doc/perl-modules/changelog.Debian.gz' to '/usr/share/doc/perl-modules/changelog.Debian.gz.dpkg-new': unexpected end of file or stream
Preparing to unpack .../libc6-dev_2.19-18+deb8u3_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libc6-dev:armhf (2.19-18+deb8u3) over (2.19-18+deb8u1) ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: lzma error: compressed data is corrupt
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6-dev_2.19-18+deb8u3_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 cannot copy extracted data for './usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libpthread.a' to '/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libpthread.a.dpkg-new': unexpected end of file or stream
Preparing to unpack .../libc-dev-bin_2.19-18+deb8u3_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libc-dev-bin (2.19-18+deb8u3) over (2.19-18+deb8u1) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libc-dev-bin_2.19-18+deb8u3_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 cannot copy extracted data for './usr/bin/rpcgen' to '/usr/bin/rpcgen.dpkg-new': unexpected end of file or stream
Preparing to unpack .../libc-bin_2.19-18+deb8u3_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u3) over (2.19-18+deb8u1) ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: internal gzip read error: '<fd:4>: invalid block type'
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libc-bin_2.19-18+deb8u3_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 cannot copy extracted data for './usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8/LC_COLLATE' to '/usr/lib/locale/C.UTF-8/LC_COLLATE.dpkg-new': unexpected end of file or stream
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/perl-modules_5.20.2-3+deb8u4_all.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6-dev_2.19-18+deb8u3_armhf.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libc-dev-bin_2.19-18+deb8u3_armhf.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libc-bin_2.19-18+deb8u3_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Rgissing

Post by Rgissing »

I agree. My card they shipped me cannot be formatted in any formated. . Ugh. Shipping stuff back is going to really suck.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Don't worry about sending anything back. Let's just replace the cards.

@jdellaire, Rgissing, & chanjp: Send notes to [email protected] with a link to this thread and the folks there will get you new SD cards.

Rgissing

Post by Rgissing »

you guys are groovy!!! thanks

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

hey ya'll can you post photos of your cards? if you plug them into a computer do you see the noobs files? kinda weird error!

Rgissing

Post by Rgissing »

i can do that tonight, but it is a wierd error because the SD card can is readable, and it will boot in a pi 2 to raspian , i do not think it actually has noobs on it. i will send picture soon.

robert

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

ok yah any screenshots of the sd card contents would be (thumbsup)

jdellaire

Post by jdellaire »

Here are the 2 partitions on the SD card with Noobs preloaded on it that came with the starter pack:
Volume partition
Volume partition
volume.png (70.27 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
Boot partition
Boot partition
boot.png (92.94 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
As root, I can touch a file on either partition, modify files, etc. When I umount the partitions then re-mount them, any files I added are removed, and modified files are back to what they originally were. I have also toggled with switch on the adapter many times as well.

-jdellaire

jdellaire

Post by jdellaire »

Here is an example of using fdisk to try and clear the partitions on the SD card:
term1.png
term1.png (147.92 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
term2.png
term2.png (127.74 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
term3.png
term3.png (130.1 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
As you can see, I tried to clear the two partitions then create a single partition on the card, but the original parititons stay on the card.

-jdellaire

solmar

Post by solmar »

order number: 1035253-8269502337
product ordered:Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Starter Pack - Includes a Raspberry Pi 3[ID:3058]
failed product within kit: 8GB SD card for Raspberry Pi preinstalled with Noobs v1.8 - 8GB microSD [ID:1583]
problem: write protected SD card . It wont boot in Pi, it's stuck on the rainbow screen.
troubleshooting:i attempted to format it with “SDFormatter”, but it fails to format because it’s write locked.
solution: I purchased a 16GB SanDisk micro SD card and was able to format it with SDFormatter and copied the noobs v1.8 files content to it and the PI was able to boot.
Attachments
20160315_155155_resized.jpg
20160315_155155_resized.jpg (627.5 KiB) Viewed 3095 times

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

OK we had a batch of corrupted cards - which is odd but we made new ones up and i tested a few and they boot fine
plz email support@adafruit and ask for a new card, they'll send it to you :)

pedersenit

Post by pedersenit »

I have a similar issue on the Raspbian Jessie 8GB card that I just received. It boots, but i can't do anything, it keeps telling me that there is no more room. I try to expand the filesystem, but it fails. I have even tried to reformat it on several computers. Order #1051830-0382177438

Thanks

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”