Cool White 8 LED sticks

Post test messages here

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
teku1998

Cool White 8 LED sticks

Post by teku1998 »

I am interested in making custom lighting for my headlights using neopixels. I see the new sticks have an RGBW option, and I was wondering, can the RGB white and the white white (....sorry lol) both be on at the same time? How bright would this be, could I see a picture of that on the highest safe brightness, like pointing at something in the dark? I am curious to see if 2-3 of these strips with that setting would be enough to qualify as like daytime/running lights as well as my turn signals. Thanks :)

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Cool White 8 LED sticks

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

teku1998 wrote:can the RGB white and the white white (....sorry lol) both be on at the same time?
Yep. All four LEDs can be on at the same time.
teku1998 wrote:How bright would this be
Not very. Each LED emits about 1 candela of energy (1cd), which corresponds to 1 lumen per square meter at a distance of 1 meter from the LED, also known as 1 lux. For comparison, normal room lighting produces an illumination of about 250 lux.
teku1998 wrote:I am curious to see if 2-3 of these strips with that setting would be enough to qualify as like daytime/running lights as well as my turn signals. Thanks :)
They're a few orders of magnitude too low for headlights (18,000cd to 25,000cd low beam, 60,000cd to 75,000cd high beam)

They might work as supplemental indicator lights. This document lists photometric requirements for turn lamps on car-sized vehicles: http://autoparts-standard.org/index/ima ... 4-2009.pdf It looks like 30cd is acceptable in some uses.

Always check that kind of thing with someone who can give you a legally valid answer though, either a mechanic or someone from your state's DOT.

teku1998

Post by teku1998 »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:
teku1998 wrote:can the RGB white and the white white (....sorry lol) both be on at the same time?
Yep. All four LEDs can be on at the same time.
teku1998 wrote:How bright would this be
Not very. Each LED emits about 1 candela of energy (1cd), which corresponds to 1 lumen per square meter at a distance of 1 meter from the LED, also known as 1 lux. For comparison, normal room lighting produces an illumination of about 250 lux.
teku1998 wrote:I am curious to see if 2-3 of these strips with that setting would be enough to qualify as like daytime/running lights as well as my turn signals. Thanks :)
They're a few orders of magnitude too low for headlights (18,000cd to 25,000cd low beam, 60,000cd to 75,000cd high beam)

They might work as supplemental indicator lights. This document lists photometric requirements for turn lamps on car-sized vehicles: http://autoparts-standard.org/index/ima ... 4-2009.pdf It looks like 30cd is acceptable in some uses.

Always check that kind of thing with someone who can give you a legally valid answer though, either a mechanic or someone from your state's DOT.

Thanks for your reply, Mike. I was looking at using these for turn signals primarily, and thank you for the info on their brightness. I have a followup question, should the neopixel strips and rings be able to hold up to the heat that is possible inside a headlight housing? I have 8000k brightness HIDs in my 2002 Mustang. I wanted to see about using neopixels to make a halo. Thanks

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The boards go through a reflow oven at about 350C, so nothing is particularly sensitive to temperature. We haven't tested the boards under those conditions though, and generally avoid giving advice that affects the street-legal status or anything operational in a vehicle. We can't afford to legally, and more important, we aren't experienced in that field technically.

The best advice we can give you is to talk to someone who knows both the field and the relevant law.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Test Message Forum (closed)”