Shopping list for custom project

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
GLaszlo

Shopping list for custom project

Post by GLaszlo »

Hello,
I want to build a portable USB charger for my mobile devices (right now mainly a Blackberry Z10), with the following options:
- stock rechargeable batteries (thinking 4xAA, but open to suggestions)
- ability to recharge the batteries from any USB source (so µUSB input)
+ Optional charge level indicator / on/off switch
So basically an equivalent to the USB Battery Pack series, but with replaceable stock batteries.

Could you give me a shopping list of the kits/components I need?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Shopping list for custom project

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

All of the charger boards we carry are designed for LiPo cells. Most AA rechargeable cells are NiMH or NiCd. They require a different charge cycle.

GLaszlo

Post by GLaszlo »

I have a PIXO C-USB universal charger (https://web.archive.org/web/20150219023 ... _cusb.html) that manages both nicely, but I was hoping to avoid tearing it apart for this project :)
Since the original manufacturers' site is offline, it might be interesting to pick up one and reverse-engineer it.

In any case, assuming I'll just use the PIXO board for charging and the PowerBoost 1k Basic for output, how would you wire it all together?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Not familiar with the charger you are using. If it supports simultaneous charging and powering the load, you would just need to connect your load outputs to the PowerBoost.

Otherwise, you would need something like a SPDT switch to toggle between charging and powering the load. Connect the common pin to the battery positive terminal, one of the others to the charger positive output and the other to the positive input of the PowerBoost. You can connect the grounds and negative terminals all together.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”