Desoldering

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Greatnate30447

Desoldering

Post by Greatnate30447 »

Brief history.... I'm a grad of digital electronics... More used as a hobby now-a-days...(Grad in respiratory)...

My Question is I have a PS4 I'm trying to fix for a friend... I located the problem as being the HDMI port on the circuit... And first off this problem is not limited to just this project either... I fine it almost impossible to desolder components off the board soldered in at a factory... What am I doing wrong...

Solder sucker.... Solder braids... Still no luck... It seems like my solder iron won't break the connection that the factory puts on these components... My iron is the standard 40watt 120v... I fine that I destroy the board trying to get the part loose... Any help is appreciated... Thanks Nate....

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Desoldering

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The lead-free solder used in most production boards these days doesn't flow as readily as the lead/tin variety and requires higher temperatures. For multi-pin surface mount components especially, a hot-air station is more useful than a regular soldering iron. https://www.adafruit.com/products/1869

Atomizer_Zero

Post by Atomizer_Zero »

I find it helps to flow some new solder into the factory's solder, and then suck it up with the solder sucker. If it's a tiny tiny pins, like on HDMI sockets, then I so what I said, with new solder, then make sure the outer pins are all free (sometimes, it might need a little wiggle with some tweezers) and then, when it comes to the tiny pins, I flow solder over all the pins, and use tweezers to pry the port away while the pins are hot. Makes a little mess on the pins, but, so long as you dont scratch the non conductive layer off of the pcb, exposing the copper, it's pretty easy to tidy the pads up ready for the new port. Hope this helps.

Greatnate30447

Post by Greatnate30447 »

Thanks Guys... I believe my issue is a temperature issue... I need a hotter iron... I hope my posted question helps others... I just wish I ask sooner... Could have saved me a lot of head aches and money.... Again thanks guys

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”