Exterior lighting ideas

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ebeyer

Exterior lighting ideas

Post by ebeyer »

I'm increasingly dissatisfied with my front porch lighting - solar stem lights whose stems like to break, making them look like glowing fallen trees after a hurricane. I need something durable, mostly weather-proof that's easy to set up (relatively) and hard to accidentally destroy (eg., my lawn mower). I was thinking of maybe running neopixel strips down my front walk (~20 feet on either side, so maybe 40-50 feet total?) or 10-12 charliepixel matrix units placed strategically, similar to what I'm doing with the solar lights right now.

The plan would be to route power from a solar battery I have at the front of the house and to set up the lights to either come on at a specific time or to use a light sensor or somesuch.

Has anyone attempted anything like this? What has been your experience? Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Exterior lighting ideas

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

[Moved from Test Messsages -> Glowy Things forum]

The strips have a waterproof sheath, but the ends and any splices will need to be sealed. The other Neopixel products are not waterproof, so you would need to find or make a suitable enclosure. The solar garden lights would make a good housing for a Neopixel ring.

For the solar garden lights, I just throw away the plastic spikes. I cut an 18" length of steel pipe - slightly smaller than the ID of the stems. Drive the pipe into the ground and slip the stem of the solar light over the pipe. No more broken stems.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”