Zigbee Compliant End Device

XBee projects like the adapter, xBee tutorials, tweetawatt/wattcher, etc. from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
scrumi

Zigbee Compliant End Device

Post by scrumi »

Has anyone made a truely zigbee compliant end device? Like to the level where you can take it and plug and play into any standard zigbee network with an off the shelf controller?

I have looked and look and all I can find are examples of point to point where they are using a nonstandard implementation on both ends, or where someone is making a controller to control other standard end devices.

From what I can tell I know I need a series 2 XBee which then needs to operate in API mode. What I don't know is how to go from there. How do I define what type of end device it is, what data it will provided etc so any off the shelf controller can see it and use it? If someone from Adafruit would do this a project/blog post example from what I can tell you would literally be the first people to cover it and it seems to be the last gaping hole in the whole DIY world of zigbee.

Franklin97355

Re: Zigbee Compliant End Device

Post by Franklin97355 »

scrumi

Post by scrumi »

Ya I got really excited about this book and then super disappointed. It basically covers everything except exactly what I described. To quote page 235 of the book:

"While much of advanced ZigBee is beyond the general scope of this book, there are
several things worth knowing when you need to enable larger systems or pursue interoperation.
You are now ready to meet these higher-level concepts and consider their
implications for your projects. We’ll discuss ZigBee stack layers, standardized APS
messaging, routing scenarios, security, and serial flow control. Finally we’ll point you
toward reference material on the ZigBee standard."

So basically they just BANNED you with some vague brush strokes of what you need to know and then give you the classic "implementation is left as an exercise to the reader." Someone smarter than me just picks up the reference material from Digi and implements the solution. I'm one of those idiots that need examples that combined are 95% there and then cobble them together into what I want.

Any chance this is of any interest to anyone else. I'm just confused as to why I'm what seems like the first enthusiast in this direction. Obviously the pros are doing it all day long which is why there are interoperable products you can buy off the shelf, but I can't seem to find a dang example on how to create such a beast.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

You might find something among these links. The problem is as you state, the beginners have support and the more advanced just dig in and read the documents and find what they need to do what they want and don't write about it.

scrumi

Post by scrumi »

This is something I have been looking at for 1.5 years now. Every three months or so I get hopeful and spend way to many hours scraping around looking for examples. Usually there is some new material that raises my hopes, but so far nothing that gets into what an actual end device profile looks like and how to implement one. Any chance someone on your team could workup a blog post on it? It seems like a perfect fit as you provide all the logical components, and having an Arduino or Raspberry Pi interface as an end device that would connect a horde of sensors into an interoperable network seems like the last missing piece in this whole ecosystem.

CharlesDavis

Post by CharlesDavis »

Hi Scrumi, I am working on a project which might be similar to yours ... so far I have two end devices communicating well, one is sending sensor data to the other which is delivering it nicely to an Arduino...setups all seem to be good - where I am having issues is trying to remotely change parameters in the sending device from the arduino....seems I am having çhar'/byte/word conversion issues.
If you can specify exactly what you are trying to achieve, I will try to help

scrumi

Post by scrumi »

Ya not at all. I'm looking to create and end device that can be controlled by any off the shelf compliant controller.

Getting two devices to talk to each other in their own ecosystem.... Ya there are 10001 different examples of that all over the web.

scrumi

Post by scrumi »

Anyone done a project like this yet?

Echamberlain

Post by Echamberlain »

I haven't done a project yet, but I too have been following the space for a few years.

Have you seen http://www.digi.com/resources/documenta ... h%3D_____1? It offers a pretty good tutorial.

Personally, I'd like to see more 6LowPAN solutions too.

CharlesDavis

Post by CharlesDavis »

I got 2 of those kits last year ... really are what they say they are, except they sent me the SMT version in place of the Through-hole version

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “XBee products (discontinued)”