Urgent: Defective Product, need new product

Forum Administrative - NOT PROJECT OR "HELP"

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
amoocow116

Urgent: Defective Product, need new product

Post by amoocow116 »

Hi. A few days ago I ordered the Peltier Thermo-Electric Cooler Module + Heatsink.
When I tested out the fan part of the device, I used a variable power supply and started to go up to about 1A or about 2 Volts. At this low voltage, the fan started to turn, but then I heard a popping sound and then the fan would not work again. On top of that, the device started to emit some sort of metal or burning smell.

I would like to ask for a exchange/replacement and have another product shipped immediately (I ordered with next day air shipping on my previous order). So I am asking if I could have another Peltier Thermo-Electric Cooler Module + Heatsink shipped as soon as possible and get details on how I could return/exchange my current one. Thank you.

My order details: Invoice Number (1081663)

Franklin97355

Re: Urgent: Defective Product, need new product

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you post large, clear, detailed pictures of both sides of your board and the connections to it? Pictures should be less than 1meg in size. (800x600 works well). Do you have a proper power supply that you could test with?

amoocow116

Post by amoocow116 »

The power supply is a AC/DC power supply (DC being used in this case) that is adjustable, although I used low voltage when the fan appeared to make the pop sound. The power supply is not turned on in the picture.
The wires for the Peltier are not connected as I am only testing the fan for now.
Attachments
adafruit2.JPG
adafruit2.JPG (151.59 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
adafruit1.JPG
adafruit1.JPG (176.8 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
adafruit.JPG
adafruit.JPG (168.01 KiB) Viewed 2085 times

amoocow116

Post by amoocow116 »

May I get a replacement as soon as possible? I am on a time crunch as I must complete a project in the next few weeks.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The Peltier unit and fan are 12v devices, and the fan only only uses a couple hundred milliamps. It sounds like you were running it way out of spec.

I'm afraid I can't call it a hardware failure under normal operating conditions, which is what we need to authorize replacement.

The fan is a standard 90mm 12v computer fan, so you should be able to get a new one at any electronics store. It's just screwed to the heatsink, so replacing it is simple.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Administrative (closed)”